Visa Waiver Program

What is the Visa Waiver Program?


ESTA Updates:

New ESTA Fee: Effective September 8, 2010, all Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) registration applications or renewals on or after that date will require a $14.00 fee payment by credit or debit card.  Existing ESTA registrations remain valid through their expiration date. For more information, please visit the ESTA webpage on the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection website.

ESTA (Electronic System of Travel Authorization) will become mandatory January 12, 2009.   ESTA has been employed on a voluntary basis since August 1, 2008.  To apply for ESTA, please visit this website.

ESTA will enhance travel security and enable individual determinations of eligibility to travel to the United States under VWP (Visa Waiver Program).  With ESTA in place, the travel of those eligible to go to the United States under VWP will be facilitated as travelers will learn of their eligibility, or ineligibility, before they arrive at the port of entry in the United States.

Instructions on how to use ESTA are included on the website in English, Japanese, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Icelandic, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish, Estonian, Finnish, Slovenian, and Czech.  Please note, however, that the form must be completed in English.

The following countries are eligible for visa-free travel to the US given that their citizens qualify.  Details on qualifying can be found on the ESTA website.

Andorra Italy Netherlands Slovenia Estonia
Australia Finland Japan New Zealand South Korea
Austria France Latvia Norway Spain
Belgium Germany Liechtenstein Portugal Sweden
Brunei Hungary Lithuania San Marino Switzerland
Czech Republic Iceland Luxembourg Singapore United Kingdom
Denmark Ireland Monaco Slovakia


January 12, 2009, no visitor without a visa or ESTA written authorization will be allowed entry into the United States

Use this chart (pdf 100 kb) to determine whether or not your passport qualifies for visa-free travel.

If you are looking for information regarding visas to the United States, please contact the Consular Section directly by emailing

If you are an American Citizen in need of assistance for routine or emergency purposes, you may write the Consular Section at

Further information on consular services may be found at the Consular Section website.