Filing Taxes from Abroad

United States Taxpayers Living Abroad

  • Options Available for U.S. Taxpayers with Undisclosed Foreign Financial AssetsThe implementation of FATCA and the ongoing efforts of the IRS and the Department of Justice to ensure compliance by those with U.S. tax obligations have raised awareness of U.S. tax and information reporting obligations. As such, the IRS offers multiple options for addressing previous failures to comply with U.S. tax and information return obligations. For more information on these options, please see the IRS website here.
  • Paying Taxes Overseas – For information on how To Pay U.S. Taxes If You Live Overseas And Don’t Have A U.S. Bank Account, please see our website here:
  • FBAR – Reporting of Foreign Bank Accounts (FBAR) is now required be completed electronically at: For assistance, please contact the FBAR Helpline here.
  • Which Form Do I Need to File? – A chart comparing the foreign asset types and filing requirements for the Form 8938 and the FinCEN Form 114 (FBAR) can be viewed directly at
  • Electronic Filing for Taxpayers Living Abroad (PDF 380 KB); Can also be accessed here (PDF 12 KB).
  • Taxpayer ID Numbers – All filers of US tax returns and their dependents must provide a taxpayer identification number: either a US Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). You should secure an SSN by using Form SS-5 if you qualify for one. If not, you should complete Form W-7 to apply for an ITIN. Both forms include all the necessary instructions to apply. To avoid being disallowed exemptions, you must obtain SSNs or ITINs for all children and dependents claimed on your income tax return.
  • Business/Estate Tax Returns – Our office does not provide tax assistance on business returns or estate tax returns. For these returns, as well as complex individual tax returns, we suggest you contact the Office of American Services (their website can be found here) for a list of US tax preparers.