In light of the current political atmosphere, spontaneous demonstrations are possible around the country, including in Antananarivo. The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens carefully read the Safety and Security section of the Country Specific Information for Madagascar.
Please remember that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Antananarivo, located at Lot 27 A Point Liberty
Andranoro-Antehiroka, Antananarivo, Madagascar at  (20) 23-480-00 (available 24 hours).
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.