The U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid the vicinity of Mahamasina Stadium and central Antananarivo during a planned political rally on Saturday, July 29.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Madagascar Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Madagascar, located at Lot 207 A Point Liberty
Andranoro-Antehiroka, Antananarivo, Madagascar, at  (20) 234-8000, (available 24-hours). U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance call 034-493-2854.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.