Location: Throughout the Union of the Comoros, especially urban areas in Anjouan
Event: Comoros plans to hold a constitutional referendum on July 30, 2018. Demonstrations opposing the referendum have been taking place more frequently, especially in, but not limited to, urban areas of Anjouan. On July 21, assailants on motorcycles fired at the vehicle of Vice President Moustadroine Abdou in Anjouan using semiautomatic rifles. Tensions are expected to increase, peaking on July 30; depending on the outcome of the referendum, there is the potential for demonstrations and civil unrest for several weeks afterward.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid urban areas, especially in Anjouan.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy/Consulate is: +261 34-49-328-54
“Note: The timestamp on this message may reflect Washington, D.C., time, which may differ from local time.