Last updated: March 18, 2022
Mask-wearing, physical distancing, and hand washing are mandatory. Gatherings of more than 200 people are prohibited. All regions are open but restrictions remain. Domestic flights are operating. Borders are open but flights remain limited. Mask wearing and physical distancing in public is mandatory.
The Government of Madagascar (GOM) revised eligibility criteria for the AstraZeneca/Covishield COVID-19 vaccine that was allocated to the country through the COVAX initiative. Individuals 18 and over are now eligible to be vaccinated. There are 200,000 doses of AstraZeneca available for those who received Covishield in the first vaccination campaign. Anyone who needs to receive their second dose can go directly to any vaccination site in Antananarivo and Antsirabe with their vaccination card. Vaccination sites are accepting walk-in appointments. For sites outside Antananarivo and Antsirabe, please contact the local district’s health authorities. For those who have not yet been vaccinated, more than 300,000 doses of the Johnson&Johnson vaccines are available, though registration is required. You don’t have to get registered anymore for vaccinations; you bring a copy of your ID card instead. Vaccination sites are accepting walk-in appointments. Individuals 18 and over are eligible to be vaccinated. Available vaccines are: AstraZeneca, Johnson&Johnson, Pfizer, Sinopharm. Booster shots are available too.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Madagascar? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
- Hospital Manarapenitra Andohatapenaka and IPM Avaradoha offer PCR tests for COVID-19. For IPM Avaradoha, the cost is 313,800 AR. You must bring your passport and a copy of your passport, visa, and ticket. Results are available in 24 hours electronically or by pickup. Their number is 020-22-401-64/65. Institut Pasteur offers serological tests for COVID-19. In each region Centre Hospitalier Regional (CHRR) or Centre Hospitalier de district (CHRD) should offer PCR tests.
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions to CDC’s requirement that all U.S. bound travelers present a negative COVID test, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/covid-19_testing_required_US_Entry.html
- Humanitarian exemptions to this order will be granted on an extremely limited basis and will only be considered when the country of departure lacks adequate COVID-19 testing capacity.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
Has the government of Madagascar approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes, multiple COVID-19 vaccines have been approved by the Government of Madagascar. The U.S. Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Are vaccines available in MADAGASCAR for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes, there are 200,000 doses of AstraZeneca available for those who received Covidshield in the first vaccination campaign. Anyone who needs to receive their second dose can go directly to any vaccination site in Antananarivo and Antsirabe with their vaccination card. Vaccination sites are accepting walk-in appointments. For sites outside Antananarivo and Antsirabe, please contact the local district’s health authorities. For those who have not yet been vaccinated, doses of the Johnson&Johnson vaccines are available.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Visit the CDC’s website for the latest guidance on international travel for vaccinated people: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html .
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes, a PCR test is performed at traveler expense at the airport. Travelers must quarantine in an approved hotel until they receive a negative test result.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- The previous policy of allowing free visa extensions has ended. Currently, those on tourist visas must purchase a ticket to depart Madagascar and then go to the Immigration Office or Ivato Airport to get a stamp allowing them to remain until their return ticket date.
- Is a curfew in place? Yes, in some regions there is a curfew from Midnight to 4 AM.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? U.S. Citizens must quarantine at an approved hotel until they have a negative test result.
- Are commercial flights operating? Domestic flights are operating. Borders are open but flights are limited.
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Hand gel is provided. Passengers, drivers, and assistants all must wear masks.
Fines for Non-Compliance:
- Failure to wear a mask in public can result in arrest for 24 hours.
- American Citizen Services are being offered.
- Routine visa services are being offered.