An official website of the United States government

American Resident in Madagascar
January 1, 2021

In order to obtain a resident permit in Madagascar, the Malagasy government requires a police certificate from the United States. The Embassy is not able to provide such a certificate. However, procedures do exist for obtaining a police certificate from the FBI while living abroad. In order to do so you must send and submit your fingerprints and a check or money order for $18 to the FBI. Please read the information from the FBI on how to obtain your criminal record please see this site https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks and follow the instructions.