Location: Union of the Comoros
Event: The Travel Advisory for Comoros changed to Level 2-Exercise Increased Caution due to civil unrest on July 27, 2018. Please see the full Travel Advisory below.
Comoros — Travel Advisory – Level 2
Exercise increased caution in The Union of the Comoros due to civil unrest.
Comoros will hold a constitutional referendum on July 30, 2018. Demonstrations opposing the referendum are occurring frequently. On July 21, assailants fired semiautomatic rifles at the vehicle of Vice President Moustoidrane in Anjouan. Tensions are expected to increase at least until the day of the referendum, and may continue even after results are known.
U.S. embassy personnel are currently prohibited from traveling outside of Moroni unless essential and must refrain from official outings during nighttime hours unless likewise deemed essential.
Read the Safety and Security section on the Country Information page.
If you decide to travel to Comoros:
- Stay away from political rallies, demonstrations, and crowds.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Comoros.
- S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.