Location: Downtown Antananarivo specifically City Hall, the Soarano train station, and the broader Independence Avenue.
Event: A political demonstration is currently taking place in downtown Antananarivo, on Independence Avenue, specifically by City Hall and Soarano train station. There have been reports of conflict between demonstrators and security forces. Please avoid this area until further notice.
Embassy personnel have been required to avoid the area during this time.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of downtown Antananarivo specifically around Independence Avenue.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Antananarivo, Madagascar
(261) 20 23 48000/01
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Madagascar Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.