Location: Throughout Anjouan, Comoros, especially urban areas in and between Mutsamudu and Ouani
Event: Civil unrest leading to gunfire and reports of explosions. While reports indicate that unrest has subsided, and the port, the airport, and roads have reopened, U.S. personnel in Anjouan have been asked to remain near their homes until further notice.
Actions to take:
- Avoid urban areas, especially in Anjouan,Mutsamudu, and Ouani.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy/Consulate is: +261 34-49-328-54