Location: Throughout Anjouan, Comoros, especially urban areas in and between Mutsamudu and Ouani
Event: Civil unrest and demonstrations in response to a constitutional referendum continue sporadically on the island of Anjouan. There are reports of gunfire and explosions, including several injuries and deaths. The Government has issued a mandatory curfew beginning on October 15th from 8:00PM to 6:00AM for Anjouan.
U.S. embassy personnel are prohibited from traveling to Anjouan unless deemed essential.
Actions to take:
- Avoid urban areas, especially in Anjouan, Mutsamudu, and Ouani.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy/Consulate is: +261 34-49-328-54